Travelling for business has its perks, but for first-timers in a new city, there are challenges.
From finding a secure wifi connection to sourcing an appropriate meeting room, your professional needs are looked after by Hub Southern Cross – but between the meetings and emails, make the most of your time here and enjoy the sights, sensations and culinary delights of Melbourne’s central business district. To lend you a helping hand, we’re sharing the best spots around Hub Southern Cross, in the Melbourne CBD
It’s a tram life
Moving between Melbourne airport and the city is almost seamless with Skybus, that runs to and from Southern Cross Station, located on the western edge of the CBD.
Buses are comfortable and reliable, departing every 15 mins and will get you to the city in under half an hour for under $20, and they even have free wifi on board!
The Melbourne space is only a stone’s throw from Southern Cross train station – you’ll find us on the corner of Bourke and Spencer Street, just look out for the iconic Mail Exchange Building.
The Melbourne CBD is framed by a tram network that extends in all directions, providing a convenient way for visitors to see every corner of the city. Don’t miss the Queen Victoria Market, Federation Square or the State Library.
Melbourne city is also navigable by train and bus. Flinders Street station and Southern Cross station are major transport hubs with interchanging lines. To get around on public transport, a Myki card should be recharged.
To find us, look for tram routes 86 and 96 to drop you off outside Hub Southern Cross on Bourke Street. For timetables and routes, visit Public Transport Victoria.
Tip: All Hub Members get a discounted stay at The Alto Hotel, close to Hub Southern Cross and full of rooms to accommodate solo travellers or a family stay.
Get a coffee or two
In the city that prides itself on having the best coffee, you’ll have no trouble finding a good brew. None more so than right here at Hub, where there’s a plentiful supply of coffee at our in-house café. Some of our other favourite coffee spots are located close to Hub Southern Cross, so take the opportunity to duck into the laneways of Melbourne, see the culture and taste world-class coffee.
- Kinfolk: Our friends at the end of Bourke St provide a delicious cup of coffee that also sets aside 100% of profits to make a positive contribution to local and international charities.
- Manchester Press: Take a stroll through Little Bourke St and reach Manchester Press, an airy spot with a wide selection of breakfast and lunch bagels, and coffee.
- Brother Baba Budan: Just a stone’s throw from Manchester Press, stop by for quality Seven Seeds coffee, blended in their Carlton cafe.
Dine like a local
You’ll quickly learn that enjoying Melbourne’s range of gastronomic experiences is a prized pastime. Between conference calls and meetings, there’s plenty to see and do as you experience the best cuisine the Melbourne CBD can offer.
Whether you need a quick bite or a restaurant to make a serious impression, here are some of our favourite restaurants near Southern Cross:
- Don’t skip out on lunch. Located on Lonsdale St, Sun Moth Canteen & Bar provides speedy meals and even faster coffee. With a trendy fit out, it won’t feel like you’ve skipped out on a quality meal.
- You might be new to Melbourne but you can still impress your guests with a lunch at Cumulus Inc. Found on Flinders Lane, Cumulus Inc. blends into its trendy surroundings on Melbourne’s fashion precinct. Reserve a private dining space for a high-end dining experience – Cumulus Inc. is sure to make the right kind of impression.
- Get a hint of Melbourne’s vibrant Greek community at Gazi, a casual Greek restaurant. Expect a fun evening but book beforehand, it can get busy!
Tip: For after work drinks or a casual space to network, Saint and Rouge has your Friday evening sorted. Only a 5-minute walk from Hub Southern Cross and a favourite for our Melbourne members. With a courtyard and great food, this place has everything you need for the perfect after-hours drink.
Working remotely or offsite might change your context and surroundings but with everything you need in one location, Hub Southern Cross is here to sustain your momentum whilst maximising your productivity and while you’re with us, enjoy some of our local favourites in the Melbourne CBD.